Mom was Right! Breakfast is the Most Important Meal of the Day!July 8, 2013
• kick starting your metabolism
• improving concentration and performance
• boosting mood
• curbing hunger so you’re more likely to make healthier food choices throughout the day
• giving you more strength and endurance for your workouts
• contributing to a more nutritionally complete diet
An ideal breakfast is one that supplies both protein and carbohydrates and consists of a variety of foods including fruit, veggies, whole grains, lean protein and low fat dairy products. Here are a variety of easy options for you to try.
• Low fat yogurt with fruit
• Whole grain cereal with fresh fruit and low fat milk
• Hard-boiled egg and a banana
• Smoothie made with frozen fruit and low-fat yogurt
• Whole grain English muffin with low-fat cheese, a scrambled egg and a slice of tomato
• Oatmeal with skim milk, raisins and nuts
Not exactly the breakfast type? Start slowly by eating something small and nutritious in the morning – a piece of fruit, yogurt, a little oatmeal. After a couple weeks, your body’s appetite will reset and you will feel hungry in the morning – which is exactly what you want. So give breakfast a try, and see for yourself if Mom was right after all!