Tips to Avoid Getting Sick this SeasonJanuary 18, 2014
Stay Healthy this Winter
It’s baaaaaaaack (insert creepy voice). Well my friends, it is that time of year again – flu season. I bet you were hoping I would say something uplifting like all of the spring catalogues I am receiving. Nope! It is the time of year where germs are everywhere…and I mean everywhere. The only thing worse than these absolutely frigid temperatures in the Chicago land area, is to have the FLU in these freezing temps. Am I right? Here are some tips to help you and your loved ones stay healthy and flu free this season.
1. Wash your hands! This is an easy one, guys. Make it a point to wash your hands more often than usual. We touch so many different surfaces each day and then rub our eyes and nose without even realizing it. Every time you fill your water bottle at work, stop in the bathroom and wash, wash, wash!
2. Scrub your belongings. Cell phones and purses carry so many germs! Read more about these disgusting little critters in a previous post.
3. Drink lots of water and fresh juice. We all know how important water is, so I will not bore you with those details. Juice, on the other hand, can be tricky. A lot of the juices you see in your supermarket are loaded with sugar and don’t contain all of those important nutrients due to pasteurization. Look for your closest juicing bar (or invest in your own juicer!) to consume fresh produce in minutes. You will get your daily dose (or more!) vitamins to give your immune system the jump start it needs to kick those germs to the curb. My favorite recipe: kale, pineapple, celery, ginger, apple, lemon, swiss chard, cucumber).
4. Take your vitamins. Take a multi vitamin (the more natural the ingredients, the better) as a back up…ya know, in case you are not getting your recommended doses.
5. Clean all of the knobs and anything else you touch with your hands on a daily basis. My mom used to do this all of the time when anyone was sick. She would crab a Clorox wipe and clean door knobs, faucets, the refrigerator door handle, etc. to avoid spreading the germs to someone else. (Note: you may want to do this in your office building and gym as well).
6. Consider a flu shot. Not all people want a flu shot and I get that. I received my very first one in November because my doctor recommended it due to my pregnancy. Do your own research and make a decision.
I hope these tips help each and every one of you stay flu free in 2014! The Kb Fitness Solutions, Inc. team needs you healthy so that we can continue to kick your butt in the gym. After all, those spring catalogues are a good reminder that swimsuit season is right around the corner!