Homemade Smoothie RecipeJune 20, 2013
As summer approaches, we may find ourselves spending more of our free time out doors on the go and less time inside or resting. Warmer weather brings more outdoor festivities such as art fairs, carnivals, movies in the park as well as long days at the beach. Being outside in the sun and warm summer weather may seem to find you more dehydrated and hungrier throughout the day.
In order to keep me full, hydrated and more energized I always seem to turn to my homemade smoothies. As I make sure that I don’t use my smoothies to replace my meals, I always have them near by as my snack to supplement my meals . 1-2 smoothies each day along with at least 3 complete meals, ensures that I get all of the vitamins and minerals that I need for the day. With combining different fruits and vegetables as well as flax seed oil, grains, and extra protein base, I am sure to not be tempted by any GMOs. A genetically modified organism (GMO) is an organism whose genetic material has been altered using genetic engineering techniques. In other words, a food like product which can cause to excess weight gain as well as other health issues.
How do you put a well rounded smoothie together, you ask? Simple!
1. Start with your base. Try something like coconut milk, almond milk, soy milk or even fruit juice that is natural and organic without any added sugars or flavors
2. Next, pick your fruit. Something that will blend well with the rest of your additions but not take over the entire flavor of the drink such as berries, bananas or kiwi.
3. Now, add in your greens for important effects such as antioxidants, anti-inflammatory, and assistance in boosting your immune system. Try your rich, dark, greens such as spinach, kale or even collard greens.
4. If you like your smoothie a little thicker feel free to consider adding in more components such as all natural nut butters or coconut meat.
5. Don’t forget your proteins. Add in some Spirulina or hemp protein, but not too much. One tablespoon should do.
6. Finally, I like to add in some ice to make my smoothie nice and chilled.
I hope this helps! Have a fruitful summer and may you never go hungry!