No Gym, No Problem!June 1, 2013
Get Moving Anywhere
Are you stuck in a rut at the gym? Feeling unmotivated to go because you are sick of your routine? Take control of your workouts and head outside!
We are so incredibly lucky to live in a city that has a path (with a gorgeous view!) that caters to walkers, joggers and bikers. The lake front also provides lots of green space and parks with jungle gyms. You don’t always have to lace up your sneakers and jog for 5 miles, however. Get creative! Use what this lovely city provides. No excuses!
Here is an example of an outdoor workout routine using the path, park, and a jungle gym!
1. Warm up – walk or jog for about 10 minutes. This will get the heart rate up and warm your muscles.
2. 25 Walking lunges (keep your body nice and tall. Take a big step with either leg and sink down to create a 90 degree angle. Distribute your body weight evenly on both legs).
3. Step up’s on a nearby bench (keep one foot on the bench at all times and step up with the other. Perform 10 on each side).
4. 10 push ups (on the ground or at an angle using the bench).
5. Chin up’s or pull up’s (look for monkey bars. Just watch out for kids! Keep your feet on the ground and hop up to help lift your body if you are a beginner).
6. Squat jumps (stand with feet at least hip distance apart. Keep your chest up. Bend your knees like you are about to sit in a chair. Hop off of the ground as you lift your body from that “seated” position).
6. Run or sprint for 30 seconds.
7. Repeat 5x or more!
8. Cool down and stretch.
Make sure you keep water nearby as the weather gets warmer. This workout will get your heart pumping and muscles burning. See you at the lake!