Healthy Thanksgiving Recipe – Slimmed Down SidesNovember 7, 2013
Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes with Ricotta Cheese
- 3 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 teaspoon of olive oil
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- ½ cup of fat free ricotta cheese
- ¼ teaspoon of salt
- ¼ teaspoon of ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon of ginger
- 1 tablespoon of light brown sugar
- ¼ cup of grated parmesan cheese
- 2 ½ tablespoons of chopped fresh sage
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Pierce potatoes with a fork and bake until soft, about 1 hour. Remove from oven and cool until potatoes can be handled, about 20 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a large baking sheet.
- Meanwhile, place olive oil in small skillet over medium heat. Add shallots and cook and stir until softened and beginning to brown, about 10 minutes. Set aside.
- Cut potatoes in half lengthwise and scoop out pulp, leaving a thin shell. Set shells aside. Place pulp into a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. Add ricotta, salt, pepper, ginger, and sugar to the blender; blend until smooth.
- Return potato mixture to a bowl; stir in shallots, Parmesan cheese, and sage. Spoon mixture back into potato skins. Place potatoes on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake until heated through, about 30 minutes.