New Years Non ResolutionsJanuary 9, 2017
Creating Change Any Day of the Year
Another holiday season has come and gone. Hard to believe that 2017 is here! Wasn’t I just in college? That would be a big fat “no” and I am reminded of this as I sift through my mail staring at my ten year reunion notices (which I am totally excited about attending, by the way. Go Flyers!) For many, now is the time resolutions are made…and I get it. The first of January comes, you can wake up and it is a clean slate. You feel excited and ready to take on the world. I used to be a resolution maker as well. But, as I have grown, I have realized that if I need to change something, it is going to need to happen now. Not just in the New Year.
Creating change for your health and well being is no easy task. Convenient (and usually fast) food surround us and making sure we are keeping up with jobs and families can make anyone’s head spin. Finding the time to put your health first may seem like it is totally unattainable. However, as I have mentioned in the past, you are the only one to make that change. Creating small changes in your routine can seem daunting, but sometimes “you do what you need to do!”
I put some thought into small changes that people can do throughout their day/week to help reach their fitness goals. They include:
1. Pencil in your workouts. Life is busy. I get it. But your health is important and moving your body should be a priority. 15-20 minutes each day or every other day works wonders! You do not need to make your workouts complicated or an ordeal. Put your sneakers on at home and move!
2. Food prep. 1-2 hours in the kitchen getting meals organized for your week is a game changer. Sure, you have to spend a bit of time in the kitchen at once, but think of all of the lunches you can whip up! That means less time in the kitchen all week.
3. Grocery Delivery. This is not for everyone, I understand. And, I have yet to try it. But, I am sharing this idea because I feel that it can change my life (and perhaps yours as well!) Here is why: meal planning! When I go to the store with my two kids, I have some idea of what we need (snacks, veggies, fruit, etc). But, dinner will roll around and I will have “nothing.” Seeing the food on my computer (as well as sales!) will help me visualize a plan and not walk aimlessly in the store. Ordering online can also help you not make any random last minute purchases in the check out line. Win!
4. Be on the hunt for any fitness challenges. A lot of companies/offices offer a “New Year Fitness Challenge.” Join! You will have support from friends/co-workers and who knows, maybe there is an awesome prize at the end.
5. Find a workout buddy. Have you noticed other ladies or gentlemen walking early in the morning? Join in on the fun. Again, you can all hold each other accountable.
Start with one change at a time. Nothing can be perfect overnight. See how one change affects your lifestyle and then add another one. While the New Year can encourage you to start, don’t wait. Make the changes today and start living your fittest life yet!
Contact InfoMailing Address:
207 E. Ohio Street, Suite 344
Chicago, IL 60611