Healthy Poolside SnacksJuly 7, 2019
The perfect pool day is a rarity in Chicago—over 75 degrees, minimal clouds, no chance of thunderstorms—and one that deserves to be cherished and taken the utmost advantage of considering how short Chicago summers can be.
So on the ideal pool day, you don’t want to be bothered spending hours in the kitchen; you want to grab and go straight from your pantry to the pool. But you also want to be mindful of what you bring with you; nothing too heavy, too perishable, or too messy. Ideally, it would be sharable, not require refrigeration or utensils, and not make you feel bloated in a bathing suit. Here are some easy snack ideas to keep in mind the next time you’re rushing out to catch some rays.
1. Carrots and hummus: Great for sharing, and full of fiber and protein to keep you full and energized. Some whole wheat pita chips are also a good option.
2. Grapes and string cheese: As far as fruit goes, grapes are a no-brainer; they transport easily, don’t make a mess, and won’t leave you with sticky fingers. Paired with a reduced fat string cheese, this combination has a great balance of protein, fiber, and carbohydrates.
3. Crudité: With or without a healthy dip, sliced up veggies (think: cucumbers, celery, or bell peppers) are a great snack to have poolside. They provide a great crunch, are full of water to help you hydrate, and are super easy to prepare and transport.
4. Peanut/almond butter and apple slices: Apples and peanut/almond butter are a winning combination, and they could not be more simple to pack and eat poolside. Protein from the nut butter will keep you full throughout the sunny day, and apples are a super healthy vehicle to transport the butter. Apple slices will also provide you with some carbohydrates, water, fiber, and vitamins.
5. Deconstructed Caprese salad: All you need are some small mozzarella balls, cherry or grape tomatoes, and store-bought pesto (or homemade if you’re an overachiever). Use the pesto like a dip instead of a dressing. This won’t require any prep, is easy and fun to share, and takes advantage of fresh summer tomatoes during their peak season.
Lastly, don’t forget to hydrate! Make sure to fill up your water bottle before you head to the pool, and remember to re-fill it as the day goes by and you continue to sweat.